Monday, April 29, 2013

Skinny Jeans

The 1980's were not the most fashionable time for me.  Harem pants, permed hair, banana clips, jelly shoes, mirrored sunglasses with hot pink frames, and, best of all, tight-rolled jeans.  I know you know what I'm talking about.  You take the hem of your jeans and roll it inward, talking up any slack, then roll upwards two or three times until you have an extreme taper at the ankle.  Whoever thought up this fad should have been strangled with his own pair of tight-rolled jeans.  It was not a good look for anyone.

I've noticed lately that those fashion trends from the 1980's are starting to come back.  The thing about fads though is that you think they're cute when you're in them.  I like the tight black leggings with the tall leather boots.  I like the skinny jeans with long tops and brightly-colored flats.  The difference between now and the 80's is that I now know that these styles don't look good on me.  The tight leggings accentuate my larger thighs.  The long, baggy shirts hide my smaller waist.  Even though I'd love to wear them, I've officially written them off as not for me.  

Until now...

A recent girl's trip to the Pacific Northwest required me to pack rain boots.  I have the cutest pair of rain boots that the kids gave me for my birthday.  I don't get to wear them very often, but when I do, I've noticed that the hem of my boot-cut jeans drags on the ground and gets all wet - not pretty.  So when I began packing for this trip I quickly realized that I needed some new, boot-friendly pants.  A quick Google search on the latest rainy day fashion revealed the most popular choices - leggings and skinny jeans.  

Oh no.  No way.  Not gonna happen.

The next day I find myself in an Old Navy fitting room with my three-year-old son and a pair of Rock Star Super Skinny Jeans that "look good on every shape".  

Deep breath.  You can do this.

I slide those puppies on and zip them up as fast as I can.  Hmm...not awful,  but I need something to cover my butt.  I pull on a baggy white tee and a pretty green Boyfriend Sweater.  

Wow.  They actually look good.  And they will look even better with my rain boots.

I take my $75 purchase and head home.  "You look great!" exclaims my husband.  "Mama, you look so pretty!" croons my daughter.  I'm feeling good.

It wasn't until the night before my trip that I realized it.  My rain jacket was too short for my new outfit.  That green boyfriend sweater totally hung down a good six inches below the bottom of my jacket.  Man!  Which looks worse - the dangling green sweater or the rolled up boot-cut jeans?  

In the end, I returned the skinny jeans et al and just packed my regular old clothes for the trip.  And you know what?  I didn't once look down at my cuffed pants.  I was too busy catching up with my dear, sweet friend (who doesn't give a flip about what I look like) and enjoying every moment of our beautiful vacation together.  

And that, my friends, is what life is all about.  It's not about fitting in or being accepted because of the way you look.  It's about surrounding yourself with people that love you just the way you are.  

And learning to love yourself in return.  

No comments:

Post a Comment